Please rate this item: 1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

Endeca: “Unknown Host Exception using eaccmd”

Earlier today, one of the database servers that I manage wasn’t responding. This turned out to be due to a Windows Update that caused the server to restart, but the server didn’t come back properly. We restarted the server again and it seemed OK.

Because this happened in the middle of an Endeca “Baseline Update”, the website that referenced Endeca wasn’t responding either. This was due to locks that Endeca puts in place to prevent other baseline or partial updates from running.

However, when I ran the following command to check for Endeca locks, I got an error:

The error was:

An error occurred while trying to communicate with EAC; nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: [old server name]
Make sure the EAC host and port are correct. You can use the –verbose option for more information.

Looking on the Endeca support site, I discovered the following solution:

Unknown Host Exception using eaccmd

—–Problem—–
When I try to run eaccmd with the following syntax:

eaccmd list-flags –app wine

I get the following error:

An error occurred while trying to communicate with EAC; nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: hostname
Make sure the EAC host and port are correct. You can use the –verbose option for more information.

—–Cause—–
When running the eaccmd command without specifying the host and port, that information is read from the eaccmd.properties file, located by default in the [ENDECA_CONF]/conf directory. If the host value is incorrect in that file, then the above error will occur.

—–Solution—–
Edit the eaccmd.properties file with a text editor and replace the incorrect value. You should not need to restart the HTTP Service.

I found the “eaccmd.properties” file in “F:\Endeca\MDEXEngine\workspace\conf\”

And made the change, from:

To:

A few months ago we migrated data from an old (original) server that only had 4Gb of RAM, to a new server. Before the switchover we installed Endeca on the new server, which meant that the host was pointing to the new server name. On the night of server switchover, we changed computer names so that the new server had the same name of the old server. As the Endeca “Baseline Update” ran through OK, we assumed all was OK. It wasn’t until the server restart this morning that we discovered this problem.

I then re-ran the command to list the flags, and it now works 🙂

Command to list the lock flags[ref]Please ensure you test any script taken from my website on a test/development machine, before running on a production server.[/ref]:

Output:

Command to remove “update_lock”:

Check for flags again:

Endeca was working OK before the Windows Updates were applied.

Updated: Monday, 8th June, 2015 — 11:09 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CJayMead's SQL Server, Endeca, MS Office Help © 2018