Sometime ago, I wrote a Query Tool application that output data from a database into Excel. However, in the past few days, the users have been getting the “HRESULT 0x800A03EC” exception error when running a specific query.
I knew that the application was working, because other query data was being output to Excel.
I decided to check the fields that were being output from SQL Server. Removing the fields one by one, I was able to find that if the field value began with an equal sign (=), it would cause the exception. Removing the equal sign from the start of the field, removed the exception error. Yippee 🙂