I have just downloaded Red Gate’s FREE SQL Search tool from http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Search/index.htm
- Find fragments of SQL text within stored procedures, functions, views and more
- Quickly navigate to objects wherever they happen to be on your servers
- Find all references to an object
- Integrates with SSMS
Why use SQL Search?
- Impact Analysis
You want to rename one of your table columns but aren’t sure what stored procedures reference it. Using SQL Search, you can search for the column name and find all the stored procedures where it is used.
- Work faster
Finding anything in the SSMS object tree requires a lot of clicking. Using SQL Search, you can press the shortcut combo, start typing the name, and jump right there.
- Make your life easier
You need to find stored procedures you’ve not yet finished writing. Using SQL Search, you can search for stored procedures containing the text ‘TODO’.
- Increase efficiency, reduce errors
You are a DBA, and developers keep using ‘SELECT *’ in their views and stored procedures. You want to find all these and replace them with a correct list of columns to improve performance and prevent future bugs. Using SQL Search, you can look for ‘SELECT *’ in the text of stored procedures and views.
Below are the technical requirements for SQL Search.
- Supported OS:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2008
- Supported editors:
- SSMS 2005
- SSMS 2008
- SSMS 2008 Express. Note: To use SQL Search with SSMS 2005 Express Edition, extensibility.dll must be installed.
- Supported database versions:
- SQL 2005
- SQL 2008